Wednesday, April 11, 2007

First Post

Oy vey! I got accepted to work on the Thousand Parsec project for Google Summer of Code? Who saw that one coming? I didn't. Many good applications got sent in and the IRC channel was abuzz with activity in the weeks after GSoC started to when the results were announced. And when the news got out that TP would only have three (originally two) slots, I knew I was sunk. But here I am. Accepted. Happy. Yay.

Alright. Never had a blog before. Enjoying the rambling stream of consciousness that I'm allowed here. To the nitty gritty. My immediate plan of action is as follows:

  1. Establish blog (check)
  2. Confer with my mentor and get a feel for what's going on there (nash - later tonight)
  3. Handle whatever setup needs to be done to get darcs repository access...public key stuff...uhm...fun version control stuff! I've only ever used Subversion before, so darcs will be fun, I'm sure.
And for the more distant future:

  1. Start researching what options are available to checking validity of TPCL code. I'll bundle a lisp interpreter with the program and run all code snippits through that, I think, to verify their validity, in addition to straight syntax checking for freely edited code.
  2. See what other projects/programs do code generation on the fly (insertion of statements and expressions and the like) and see how they do it. I've got ideas, but, heh, I'm very much the novice and inexperienced. Probably time to buy a book on programming languages and their development.
  3. Refrain from developing the Java prototype any further. Yes. I code fast in Java. No, this isn't a Java project. Stop it. wxPython doesn't appear to use MVC so much, so it's best to get used to their way of doing things. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I'd rather write the app once and not need to port it later, or try to transform ideas from one platform to another...ugh.
That's all for now...more ramblings later.

No comments: